Paintings and Phtographs Set in a Timeline
               of Gloucester's History

   1938

         Five Pound Island in the middle of the inner harbor
          with the Gorton wharves in the foreground.

         In 1938, a $1,250,000 community fish pier and freezer, financed jointly by state, federal and city funds, was built over filled land on to Five Pound Island in the inner harbor.” (9

         Canvas #63                           L.A.Dahlmer
                                   Five Pound Island in the late 1800’

         Canvas #40                      L.A.Dahlmer
                        Five Pound Island with Sunrise Over East Gloucester
Five Pound Island in the early 1900’s. The business's gone, wharves
collapsed, government money came in to help Gloucester and the fishing industry.

         Superior at the wharf, over her bow the start of the
         new fish pier can be seen.

        Gertrude L. Thebaud on the ways at Parkhurst Bros. in Gloucester.

          The path of the 1938 hurricane, coming ashore on Long Island on
          September 21, 1938

Wikipedia:

The New England hurricane of 1938 the great hurricane was the first major hurricane to strike New England since 1869 the storm lawn near the coast of Africa in September of the 1938 Atlantic hurricane season, becoming a category five hurricane on the Saffir - Simpson hurricane scale before making landfall as a category three hurricane on Long Island on September 21. The hurricane was estimated to have killed between 682 and 800 people. Damaged or destroyed over 57,000 homes, and caused property losses estimated at $306 million ($4.7 in 2012). Even as late as 1951, damaged trees and buildings were still seen in the affected area. To date it remains the most powerfull, costliest and deadliest hurricane in recent new England history, eclipsed in landfall intensely perhaps only by the Great Colonial Hurricane of 1635 .

         p.xxxviii
“This classic series between the fastest fishing schooners afloat came to an end in 1938, on the eve of WWII. It was the finish of a rivalry which endured for nearly two decades, often marred by bitter feelings and harsh accusations. But to the world it was the termination of one of the great eras of man’s struggle with the sea – fishing the banks under sail. The contest was the more poignant for it - the last working schooners, closing the age of sail, in a symbolic race home to market.” (9)

           Canvas #138                        L.A.Dahlmer
  Gertrude L. Thebaud leading the "Bluenose"with Sterling Hayden as tactician

Left to right: From the Bluenose crew Mitchell, Stuart Cooney, Marian Cooney,
Capt. Cecil Moulton, Harry Eustis, Sterling Hayden, Elroy Prior,Everit Jodrey, and Tom Horgan of Assoc. Press at companionway.

         Ben Pine
          "Piney"

         Ben Pine standing in front of the trophy's from his wins. Photograph from the Rosenthal Collection at Mystic Seaport.

        Canvas #27                     L.A.Dahlmer 
                                           Hard Over

        Sterling Hayden
He was navigator on the Essex-built schooner Gertrude L. Thebaud under Captain Ben Pine in the 1938 Fisherman's Cup races vs the Canadian schooner Bluenose. Partly due to the intense media coverage of those races, he was discovered by the press: his photo in the Boston Post captioned "Thebaud Sailor Like Movie Idol" led to modeling opportunities in New York and a call from Paramount Pictures.

         To Link to an article about Sterling on "Good Morning Gloucester" written by E.J. Lefavour
         GO

         "The early part of August 1938, a strange looking craft rounded Eastern Point, headed for Gloucester Harbor and dropped anchor for a visit of several months.  Her original name was ANNAPOORANVAMM and she hailed from Candia, Isle of Crete, 5000 miles away.  She came to Gloucester as she was purchased by a party from Ipswich, Mass., and her name was changed to FLORENCE C. ROBINSON."        (17)

 William A. Robinson ran a shipyard in Ipswich, and during the war ran what had been Booth Fisheries, outfitting boats for war duty.  The big crane is still running today, but the impressive machine shop is no longer in operation.

         p.xxxxi
“The redfish market declined over a period of time, due primarily to overfishing of the slow-growing species. Fish-stick processors turned to imports in the form of blocks of frozen fish. Some of the slack was taken up by a turn to whiting, but these landings also subsided gradually I the face on an unreliable price structure and restrictions by the government on the taking of this seasonal fish by draggers within the three-mile limt. The shrinking, aging fleet concentrated on haddock, only to encounter supply problems, especially on Georges Bank where a massive, mechanized onslaught by the Russian fishing industry threatened depletion of this rich ground, once almost exclusively the preserve of Gloucestermen.” (9)

         Canvas #33   "Mending Time"           
                                   by L.A.Dahlmer   
                                                               

         Booth Fisheries of East Gloucester, run as Robinson's Yard during WWII and after the war sold to the Alexander's to become Beacon Marine Basin.

        Crew of "Yankee" as craft lay at Rocky Neck Railways.

        Gloucester Harbor by Tunis Ponsen.
   Looking down onto Wonson's Wharf, with Rocky Neck on the other side of Smith Cove and the city beyond the entrance to the inner harbor.
 

        "A View From The Hill"
           by Henry Gasser (date?)

         Dedication of the new "State" fishpier".
 "Bluenose" and "Thebaud" tied up.

        "Bluenose" tied up across town.

            CONTINUE TO 1939 To 1969
           BACK TO THE INDEX PAGE